The warm days and cool nights of spring can make for challenging dinners. During the days, we want to be outside enjoying the sun, but the evenings call for something warm and comforting. Trouble is, warm and comforting dinners require time at the stove.
A quick and easy soup that is jammed with fresh vegetables and comes together in about 30 minutes. We combine seasonally perfect asparagus with the sweet taste of frozen corn and a heap of fresh thyme. The result is light, yet fresh and filling.
If you want to bulk it up a bit, shrimp or diced chicken would be a great addition.
What you need:
- One tablespoon olive oil.
- Quarter cup chopped shallots.
- Three cloves garlic, minced.
- One large sweet onion, diced.
- Two medium carrots, peeled and diced.
- Three celery stalks, diced.
- Six cups low-sodium chicken broth.
- One bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Three tablespoons chopped fresh thyme.
- Sixteen ounces frozen baby corn.
- Salt and ground black pepper.
Nutrition information per serving: 130 calories; 30 calories from fat (23 percent of total calories); 3 g fat (0 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 9 g sugar; 6 g protein; 280 mg sodium.