The two-day lobster mini-season Wednesday and Thursday brought more than lobster hunters to the Keys. It also brought a small crime wave:
- A vacationer reported to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office that nine dive tanks were stolen Wednesday night or early Thursday from the back of his truck at 222 Angler's Drive South in Marathon. Also missing were a buoyancy compensator and four fillet knives.
- A man staying at the Coco Plum Condominiums in Marathon reported someone stole from his boat overnight between Thursday and Friday a depth finder, sunglasses, a gas can, a boat paddle and a diving mask.
- The owner of the Driftwood Marina in Marathon reported that sometime between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, several boats were burglarized. Only one victim was available to be interviewed and he said he was missing rods, reels, a speargun, several coolers, a Garmin GPS and tackle bags.
- Wednesday, a Duck Key boat owner reported stolen spears, a speargun, fins, a weight belt, fishing tackle and other items. The boat was parked on Seaview Drive.
- Thursday, a woman reported stolen from her boat a fishing pole and three spearguns. The boat was at 150 Coco Plum Drive in Marathon.