Macauley's lawyer wants Deblans' jailhouse phone records kept in Tavernier double murder case

The lawyer for the man accused of shooting dead a Tavernier couple in October wants to know what the man's accused partner in crime said while he was in the county jail in February on separate drug and weapons charges.

Ed O'Donnell Sr., attorney for Jeremy Macauley, filed a motion Tuesday in Monroe County Circuit Court to preserve all phone calls Adrian Demblans received and made when he was in county jail beginning Feb. 10.

Macauley, 33, is accused of shooting to death Tara Rosado, 26, and Carlos Ortiz, 30, in their Cuba Road home in Tavernier while Rosado's young children were inside the house. He's charged with first-degree murder and armed robbery.

Demblans is charged with being an accessory after the fact of a capital felony. Detectives say he drove Macauley to and from the Ortiz/Rosado house the night of Oct. 15. Monroe County Sheriff's Office deputies arrested Macauley and Demblans on March 28, almost two months after they picked up the latter on cocaine, heroin and concealed-weapons charges.

The State Attorney's Office consolidated Macauley's and Demblans' cases last week. It's unclear how O'Donnell's request for the preservation of Demblans' jailhouse conversations will impact the defense.

"We know he was talking to someone," O'Donnell said outside Judge Luis Garcia's Plantation Key courtroom Monday.

Demblans' attorneys, Elena Vigil-Farinas and Frank Quintero, did not return e-mails asking for comment on O'Donnell's motion.

Detectives say the motive behind the murders was to silence an extortion attempt by Ortiz against Macauley and his charter boat captain boss, Richard Rodriguez. Detectives say Macauley, a charter fishing boat mate, found and brought back a "large amount" of cocaine aboard Rodriguez's vessel, the Sea Horse, last summer.

Deputies picked Macauley up at the Sea Horse's Whale Harbor slip as the vessel pulled into dock.

Ortiz and Macauley were also business partners in a fledgling tattoo and smoke shop, and Ortiz reportedly wanted more money from Macauley. Sheriff's Office Detective Vince Weiner stated in his arrest reports that Ortiz began sending text messages late last summer and into the fall to Macauley that he would turn him and Rodriguez into the police about the cocaine if Macauley didn't give him more money.

The messages were sent continuously up until Oct. 15, the day Ortiz and Rosado were killed by a bullet each from a Colt .45 caliber pistol.