Dog taken, cops threatened, man busted

Geisel Sheriff’s Office

A Marathon man who served federal time for threatening the lives of President Obama and former President George W. Bush is back in jail for allegedly stalking an animal control officer and threatening the lives of a deputy sheriff and state marine officer.

Raymond Geisel, 30, a liveaboard boater in Boot Key Harbor, reportedly was upset that his dog, which bit another dog, was taken from him. At one point, he allegedly told Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Officer Kyle Plussa, “Is it worth your life, a dog isn’t worth dying for.” He also reportedly said to Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Jamie Hughes-Buxton, “Is that dog willing to die for today?”

He was charged Thursday with two felony counts of threatening a public official and a misdemeanor count of stalking. His jail bond is $15,000.

Geisel was given a warning for trespassing at the Marathon animal shelter at 10550 Aviation Blvd. Wednesday morning after he tried to get his dog back and was told he would be arrested if he returned. He did return, Hughes-Buxton wrote in her arrest report.

Hughes-Buxton wrote in her report that animal control officer Hugh Smith and Plussa were getting other animals off Geisel’s boat. When they got to U.S. Coast Guard Station Marathon, Smith took the animals to the shelter. Geisel reportedly followed.

About 3:50 p.m., animal control officer Jennifer Showalter got in the shelter truck and drove to the Circle K at 111th Street and U.S. 1. While she was getting gas, she “saw Raymond drive across the Bealls parking lot and then drive behind the Circle K.” Showalter “quickly returned to the” shelter out of fear and “returned the van so Raymond could not follow her home,” Hughes-Buxton wrote.

Shelter Operations Director Tara Vickrey told the deputy the fear was so great that they shut down the shelter “due to being in fear of Raymond and what he may do.” Hughes-Buxton successfully petitioned County Court Judge Ruth Becker to sign an arrest warrant for Geisel, and deputies arrested him on 74th Street.

On Aug.7, 2008, Geisel was arrested in Miami for threatening then-candidate Obama and then-President Bush. He was later indicted on federal charges of threatening to assassinate both politicians. He was in Miami training to be a bail bondsman.

When arrested, federal agents found in his Ford Explorer a load 9 mm handgun, dozens of rounds of ammunition including armor-piercing bullets, body army, military fatigues and a machete. He pleaded out to two counts off illegally possessing ammunition and firearms because he had served time in a mental facility. He served 16 months in federal custody.

In April 2013, Geisel was arrested again, charged with possession of a weapon by a felon after police received a tip. They found a .22-caliber handgun on his boat in the harbor. Prosecutors apparently dropped the charge.

Larry Kahn: 305-440-3218